The Strange Attractor Goals and Accountability Thread

Hey guys,
I'm coming at you from my civilian account in order to post a thread that I think represents the spirit and idea of this forum in its current state, and for what I want it to turn into. This thread can remain as anonymous or specific as you want it to be, but I thought that it would be nice to have a place where we can share our biggest hopes and dreams, and create a support network for holding each other to them. For me personally, I'm trying to stay off the booze, be more creative insofar as actually getting my content out there, and make the switch to being as vegetarian/ vegan as I can.

I definitely have more personal goals that I would like to get to, but I have to head off for work, and figured I'd leave you guys with a prompt to run with. I'm excited to hear what y'all are capable of dreaming for!

Comments

• i am trying really hard (or more like "i'm trying really hard to try at all") to actually learn some basic saxophone technique/theory/whatever. like, just playing noise music is fine and all but it's not 100% creatively fulfilling anymore and i've put off really 'learning an instrument' for my whole life and i'd like to change that!

related, i also feel like making music as a solo act is kinda played out and self-indulgent so i'd really like to start collaborating with some other humans. i am nervous about it though! it's intimidating which is why it's also appealing?

and then finally in a vaguer sense, i'm trying to just be more positive in how i interact with life, really hold myself to a high standard, and figure out the logistics of sustaining this lifestyle for the rest of my life

• I am trying to make more time to learn how to stop making motions in life that are are trying to fulfill an ego. (((Also I have a lot of trouble discerning which action is derived from ego vs which action is derived from expression)))

Sometimes during a lifetime of shame based expieriences a seed was planted where I needed to somehow prove my wealth to my peers and it eventually became an obsession, which has lead to an overload of trying to achieve everything that comes into my mind. So many of these things are purely ego driven (trying to prove myself and others I can do anything and everything) to the point where eventually I lost touch with myself and what I truly enjoy doing as genuine expression.

My biggest goal is to find out how to be my genuine self and find out How to express myself in a genuine way.
  • Godamm one of my goals right now is to get this event calendar to work. I really think a working calendar can pull this site together. Seeking genuine expression is a good pursuit, but what if your genuine self sucks. I think its wishful thinking to assume whatevers behind your ego, is pure and wants what is best for you.

I wonder if there is any action that isn't in the smallest way tainted by that egoic shame or greed. I don't know if you can overcome your ego by avoiding it. I think there's a paradox presented by the idea of making a point to keep your ego in check, because the very act of reflecting on your ego is an egoic pursuit.

This event calendar is an appendage of my mind, and my mind an appendage of my soul. If I cannot get this event calendar to work I might as well stick my head in a beehive.

• i am trying really hard to keep my head above water right now, and a lot of that just lately means working on taking space before im automatically reactionary to things. without getting into too many details, ill say that pretty much every significant aspect of my life has been dramatically altered in the past two-ish weeks- both by my own hand or by the hand of fate i guess, and honestly am having a difficult time adjusting thus far.
    would like to work on n focus on existing in the present moment more than i mentally exist in the swirly chaos of the future. trying to remember gratitude and see more open doors rather than dwell in negativity.
    working on being vulnerable and allowing myself to be held and to trust myself.

• In regards to the ego, I have found that the more you try to suppress it, the more it will fight back and flair up at unexpected times. I don't think it is really possible to fully subsume the ego unless you are working at it constantly like a monk. Really the only thing you can do is be mindful and follow your natural mental processes.
    For me, these days I'm just working on being more careful and thorough in my work and personal life. Trying to put in more effort into things that are important, but not being too hard on myself when I fuck up.
  • And, I just want to say thanks for this. It's important that we help each other out.
  • God leave it to this group of people to get subjective as shit when it comes to setting goals. I like the ideas, but in an effort to be more basic i'll provide for you a list of practical things i'm going to set out to do.

1. Run >20 miles a week
    2. Eat no meat
    3. 2 pieces of art a week
    4. Save $$$
    5. TSA Book Club (Does anyone want to take the lead on this, feel free to make a discussion)
    6. 100+ TSA members by the end of September w/ at least 40 frequent users. We're going for quality over quantity here folks!
  • olvolv
    edited September 2017

tangible goals:
    -left handed pushup
    -actually finish at least 1/2 the books i start to read
    -stop eating dairy and stop smoking cigarettes
    -save up $ to get a car
    -dramatically simplify n minimize the amount of material possessions i have

super down to do a book club, i'll make a discussion on this today

• @olv said:
    tangible goals:
    -left handed pushup
    -actually finish at least 1/2 the books i start to read
    -stop eating dairy and stop smoking cigarettes
    -save up $ to get a car
    -dramatically simplify n minimize the amount of material possessions i have

super down to do a book club, i'll make a discussion on this today

Cool if you have a book in mind, we can just go from there and make it a monthly thing maybe? Its your call, this is your task!

• i also wanna stop smoking cigs 100%. should i download an app? is that kinda thing actually even helpful, or just a crutch for the iphone-addicted?

learn to circular breathe (prob easier w/o smoke in my lungs)

hassle halloweener about doin a tape

• Quantifiable goals;
    Be more active/exersize 3 days a week

Meditate 4 days a week

Finish creative projects to some extent before moving on to another one I won't finish

Be generally more grateful

~~~~will post updates in a month
  • edited September 2017
    september

1. get back on my mat
    2. read 3 books
    3. call my nana once a week
    4. be a nicer lover/partner/friend
    5. drink more water/ stay sober from booze
    6. morning pages
    7. speak from an open, gentle heart

will report back at the end of the month
  • love it, yall. we can do all of these things! and if you don't do 100% of them, or if they change, that's cool. i think our society suffers from pushing ourselves too much to do too many things. but, we also suffer from malaise and apathy. find a healthy balance!

my shit:
    - meditate once a day (@immabird, lately i've been meditating right as i wake up, sitting up in my bed and leaning against the wall to have a nice, str8 back. really makes a difference for my day. jus sayinnnnnn)
    - be a sweeter, more empathetic, more listening, less hangry partner
    - try to cut the ties that link socializing to drinking to smoking cigs (at least like, point out the ties when i see myself thinking about doing them together)

• OCTOBER!

not gonna lie, I've been real excited to come back to this thread and see what progress I've held throughout september.

my september goals were:

1. get back on my mat
    2. read 3 books
    3. call my nana once a week
    4. be a nicer lover/partner/friend
    5. drink more water/ stay sober from booze
    6. morning pages
    7. speak from an open, gentle heart

i revised 1. by just incorporating more movement whether it be biking, walking or going to the community center - i also taught my first yoga class in a real long time (!) which was a goal in itself.
    2. also wasn't held in a traditional way - i definitely read a lot more then i have in months (harry potter #4, red bird and upstream by mary oliver) 3. called my nana once a week - done! also I wrote about 30~ hand written letters to people including friends in australia and new zealand, hoping to continue this. 4. still working on this one. 5. i did it! 42 days without alcohol today and MAN it's been a bitch. not the whole not drinking thing but fuggin heck, my anxiety and depression are kicking my ass lately. i heard this is common with the first year of not drinking. definitely goes back to #4 though and working on disconnecting my emotions from what feels real vs. what is real. if that makes sense.

6. yes
    7. hopefully?

for october - dang, definitely continuing to not drink, be kinder to my lover and friends, work with my emotions more, get off instagram. love you all.
  • Gosh darnit, I've been absent from this site for a while now. Help me hold me accountable to running this place again. Thanks to all the users who have been keeping the discussions going this last week or two

• I’m in the bathroom at my work rn which seems a better time than ever to start planning goals and things to hold myself accountable to. This happens to me a lot where I have bursts of insane inspiration right before I’m about to do something dull and distracting like clocking into a morning shift at work. I deleted my FB again, and want to give this site the energy it deserves. I want to learn how to better allocate my inspiration so I’m not just spending it in one facet of my life or so that it comes to me at the right time, and not while I’m in the sizzle pie bathroom. I also want to convince the world to disown Facebook, they’re doing more harm than good now. I would seriously watch out for those Silicon Valley fuckos. This is what runaway AI looks like